Medical Coding & Billing Professional
Certificate of Proficiency
The Medical Billing and Coding Professional certificate will prepare students with the necessary skills and knowledge to obtain an entry-level position in medical insurance coding and office administration within a variety of healthcare settings.
Medical Billing and Coding Professional certificate graduates will:
- Apply medicolegal principles when working with protected health information (PHI)
- Accurately code diagnoses and procedures for the medical office
- Accurately prepare insurance billing forms
- Competently use software commonly used in the medical practice
- Be prepared to obtain an entry-level position in their field
- Demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and technical and information literacy skills
It is the student's responsibility to discuss sequencing and work out their individual schedule with a counselor or advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.
Admission Dates: Fall, Winter, Spring
|MEDA||115||Law & Ethics||3|
|MEDA||121||Medical Office Skills||5|
|MEDA||140||Medical Reimbursement Systems||5|
|MEDA||154||Intermediate Medical Coding||5|
|MEDA||211||Medical Computer Applications||5|
|MEDA||214||Disease Conditions/ Community Health||5|
|MEDA||254||Advanced Medical Coding||5|
Academic Core Requirements - 20 Credits
|BIOL&||175||Human Biology w/Lab||5|
|ENGL&||101||English Composition I||5|
|Total Program Credits||63|
See Academic Core for a list of all applicable courses for each of the categories listed above.