SEVIS Advising

U.S. federal government regulations require international students to maintain F-1 student status while studying. It is your responsibility to be aware of the factors that impact your legal status and make sure you remain compliant. Non-compliance can be a very serious matter with severe consequences.

While the responsibility for maintaining compliance is yours, the Office of International Programs & Global Education is here to help you navigate the complexities of U.S. government regulations and procedures. This section will assist you by providing key information for maintaining your student status.

Full-Time Enrollment

You must maintain full-time enrollment each academic quarter with the majority of credits on-campus and make normal progress toward the completion of your program of study. Full-time enrollment is defined as follows: 

  • Undergraduate students: 12+ credits during each quarter
  • Intensive English Program students: 18+ credit hours each quarter

Part-time enrollment is allowed during your annual vacation and Reduced Credit Load quarters. Please contact your International Advisor in advance to see if you are qualified for part-time enrollment.


Your passport must be valid at all times while in the U.S. Please contact the consulate of your home country at least 6 months before it expires.

F-1 visa

Your F-1 visa can be expired while you remain in the U.S. If you wish to renew it, we recommend that you apply or renew in your home country.

I-20 form

If you are unable to complete your program of study before the program end date on your Form I-20, you must apply for an extension of stay with the International Office at least 30 days before the program end date on your Form I-20. You may be granted an extension if you have maintained status and show that the completion delay has been caused by academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions.

I-94 arrival/departure record

I-94 record is given to you every time you enter and leave the U.S. You can  find iton the U.S Customs and Border Protection website.

Change of Address/Email/Phone Number

You must update the International Office within 10 days of any change. To update the International Office, complete a Student Information Update Form or stop by the International Office front desk.


As an F-1 student, you are not allowed to work without a work permit from USCIS and a Social Security number. Please see below your legal employment opportunities: